Have you ever experienced dehydration? Exhaustion? Or maybe you’re recovering from a cold or virus? Or maybe it’s just been a stressful week where your diet hasn’t been the best? These are all times where your body is crying out for replenshiment. It needs to be invigorated and fortified.
This summer I trained for a triathlon and am currently training for a half marathon. My body is crying out for replenishment weekly. It’s easy to use your extra hunger as an excuse to eat anything you lay your eyes on. However, your body will thank you if you are smart and feed it the nutrients it so desperately wants.
Here are my top five replenishing foods. I always feel better when I’m eating these regularly. You will too. Your body will thank you. I promise.
1. A green smoothie. I know, I know. It doesn’t sound super appealing. But just try it – they actually taste great! Plus, it is chock full of nutrients and fluids that will keep you hydrated. Here’s a link to my favorite recipe.
2. A big salad. Have you ever heard anyone say vegetables are bad for you? I didn’t think so. A salad chock full of veggies does wonders for a person’s body and also their mood. You can’t help but feel healthy after eating one. With so many options for different combinations, it’s hard to get bored.
The vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, and protein (yes, there is protein in vegetables) in a big salad create a replenishing powerhouse for your body. I’ll even hook you up with an easy homemade vinaigrette recipe.
3. Soup. There is a reason chicken noodle soup is the cure for the common cold. Soup is a great way to load up on vegetables, fluids, and salt (for electrolyte replacement). It can help promote hydration and most soups are very nutrient dense. Too hot for soup? Try Gazpacho!
4. Fruit. I know that’s vague, but here is an opportunity to pick your favorite. Most fruits have a high water content, are high in fiber and have various vitamins and minerals. Pick what is in season. Right now, I’ve been eating watermelon like it’s my job. It’s tastier than a plain old glass of water, but just as hydrating – a perfect snack on a steamy afternoon.
5. Water. Duh, right? Water is crucial to keep our bodies running at peak levels. We all know that, right? Our bodies are 60% water, for pete’s sake. Being an athlete, I feel like this one should be easy for me, but it’s not. I have to work on getting water into my day.
When I do make it a priority to drink water throughout the day and keep water with me when I run and bike, I feel so much better. My running and biking are strongest when I’m hydrated. During the hot summer months, the need is even stronger. Water needs vary per individual, but making it a priority is important for everyone.
So that’s what helps me stay replenished. What did I miss? What do you do to replenish your body?